As long as we are exporting our dollars overseas in exchange for oil, our national security and our economy are at risk. This Congress is taking bold action to wean us off of our addiction to foreign oil by spurring innovation that will create jobs, decrease our dependence on foreign sources of energy and reduce pollution. For too long the Republican-led Congress failed to lay out a clear national energy policy. In that time:
- Our dependence on foreign oil has increased
- Energy prices have skyrocketed
- Job growth has slowed
- Carbon pollution has threatened our environment
To put us on a path towards energy independence, the Democratic House has passed the American Clean Energy and Security Act. This historic legislation will:
- Unleash the private sector to create millions of new jobs that can’t be shipped overseas.
- Help energy-intensive industries transition to a cleaner, more profitable future.
- Export ‘Made in America’ technology and innovation to rest of world.
- Make farmers and ranchers part of solution, with carbon off-setting crops and forests, biofuel and wind farms to repower America.
- Cut oil use by 2030 by 5 million barrels a day – the same amount we currently import from the Middle East and Venezuela.
- Limit emissions and reward companies who use cleaner technology using the same market-based, American solution that reduced acid rain in the bipartisan Clean Air Act.
- Cost the typical household less than a postage stamp a day, $111 a year and lower income households will see no cost at all.