No responsibility of Congress is more important than ensuring our national security. House Democrats are committed to protecting the American people in a way that also protects our values. That commitment is reflected in our focus on fighting terrorism, providing our troops with the resources necessary to succeed, ensuring our economic stability, and making investments that will put America in control of our energy future.
America cannot afford to go back to the failed Bush policies that put our nation at risk. Republicans in Congress want to take us back to their misguided policies that led to a long-term war in Iraq and Afghanistan, increased the amount we owe foreign countries, weakened our economy, and hurt our reputation abroad.
President Obama and Democrats in Congress are already making our country more secure. Under the watch of President Obama, we captured or killed hundreds of al Qaeda’s fighters and affiliates in 2009, far more than in 2008. We continue to put our focus on al Qaeda, and we are getting results.
- A Real Focus on Fighting Terrorism: After almost a decade of misguided Republican policies, Democrats have a clear plan to disrupt, disable, and defeat al Qaeda and its affiliates.
- Stronger at Home, Stronger in the World. A strong America at home is a strong America abroad. Health care makes our people strong, financial reform lays the foundation for robust economic prosperity, and ending our oil dependency will put America in control of its energy future.
- Iraq & Afghanistan: Winding Down With Winning Strategies. Not only are Democrats committed to defeating al Qaeda, we also have a winning strategy for Iraq and Afghanistan that combats insurgents and enemy forces, establishes benchmarks for ending the conflicts, and brings our troops home.
- A 21st Century Military for 21st Century Threats. Democrats are strengthening America’s military to meet today’s threats by expanding ground forces and investing in cyber-security. By cutting wasteful spending and archaic programs, we correct the bad decisions of the previous administration.
- Serving Our Servicemembers. Democrats are renewing the sacred trust with America’s veterans by honoring – and supporting – the millions of men and women who served in uniform. In a marked break from the previous administration, we are giving our veterans the benefits of a college education, quality health care and the support they need when they return from war. .Learn more about how Democrats are helping veterans.
- A Comprehensive Strategy: Our national security is enhanced by diplomacy to defuse conflict and ensure that the hearts and minds of the world are in America’s corner. Since he took office, the President has partnered with Congressional Democrats to curb Iran’s nuclear ambitions through multilateral sanctions, brokered a Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty with Russia, and forged an international consensus to curb global warming to restore worldwide confidence in American leadership.