The CLEAR Act (H.R. 3534) holds BP and responsible parties accountable for the mess they made in the Gulf, prevents future oil spills, and protects our coastal communities and water by creating new safety measures and strengthening oversight of oil drilling.
Democrats are working to ensure that BP and other responsible parties -- and not taxpayers -- are held accountable to pay for the disaster cleanup and costs related to this spill. We are launching the clean energy economy of the future to make America more secure, create millions of clean energy jobs and address the climate crisis.
Meanwhile, Republicans are continuing to support Big Oil, Wall Street banks and credit card companies, instead of middle class Americans. The CLEAR Act will take steps to prevent and respond to oil spills and protect our coastal communities and waters.
Specifically it will:
- Implement strong new safety measures.
- Hold BP and the oil industry fully responsible for the cleanup costs and recovery after spills -- removing the $75 million cap on economic damages to be paid by Big Oil to families and small businesses.
- Strengthen oversight of oil drilling by dismantling the current scandal ridden agency in charge.
- Restore the Gulf Coast and protect local residents.
- Provide taxpayer protections to make oil companies pay their fair share for drilling on public lands.
- Protect offshore oil and gas workers who report violations or practices that endanger the public to state and federal government authorities.