HOUSE DEMOCRATS SUCCESSFULLY CONCLUDE FIRST-EVER VIRTUAL LEADERSHIP ELECTIONS
WASHINGTON – Today, House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) announced that earlier today, 100% of Members of the House Democratic Caucus for the 117th Congress cast a ballot in the first-ever virtual leadership elections held this week. Amid ongoing public health concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, Members voted via secure app in locations from D.C. to California, Texas, Guam and more while participating in a video meeting of the House Democratic Caucus.
“The coronavirus pandemic is an extraordinary crisis that has required extraordinary solutions,” said Chairman Jeffries. “House Democrats rose to the occasion and elected proven leaders to serve in the 117th Congress while ensuring the health and safety of our Members and staff. We will continue to navigate this once-in-a-century pandemic by leaning on the creativity, energy and brilliance of our Caucus to collectively get things done For The People.”
This week, the House Democratic Caucus held eight elections for positions of leadership in the 117th Congress. The Caucus will reconvene for an additional Organizational Caucus Meeting in December, where the same secure technology will be used to decide three elections for Committee Chairs for the 117th Congress and the position of Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) Chair.
House Democratic Caucus leadership elections, by the numbers:
- Four rounds of secret balloting were completed using secure virtual voting technology.
- 47 Members addressed the Caucus virtually, either as candidates or to place a candidate’s name into nomination.
- Over 99% of eligible Members cast a secret ballot across the three contested leadership elections.
- Democratic Nomination for Speaker of the House: Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
- Majority Leader: Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD)
- Majority Whip: Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC)
- Assistant Speaker-elect: Rep. Katherine Clark (D-MA)*
- House Democratic Caucus Chair: Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY)
- House Democratic Caucus Vice Chair: Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA)*
- Democratic Policy and Communications Committee Co-Chairs: Reps. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Debbie Dingell (D-MI), Ted Lieu (D-CA), Joe Neguse (D-CO)
- Caucus Leadership Representative: Rep. Colin Allred (D-TX)*
*Denotes election held using secure virtual voting technology.
The House Democratic Caucus spent several months on preparations to ensure that this week’s meeting occurred safely and with fidelity to the traditions of the House Democratic Caucus. The Committee on House Administration, Chief Administrative Officer and outside experts provided invaluable expertise and support to the Caucus throughout the development of the technology used for the elections.
Next Article Previous Article